Sunday, November 17, 2013

Virtuosity

I remember when I first started learning to play the guitar, how excited I was, but at the same time how frustrated I was. Try as I might, I just couldn't seem to make the instrument sound like the guys on the youtube video I was watching. This was probably because the first song I tried to learn was Stairway to Heaven. Had I spent the time practicing the fundamentals, such as how to properly make the chord shapes and my transitions, I would have been much more fruitful and saved myself a lot of headache in the long run. In neglecting the most basic aspects of guitar, I stunted my progress. What I lacked at the time was virtuosity.



Virtuosity is the ability to "do the common uncommonly well." It is, in my opinion, one of the most overlooked aspects of Crossfit, as well as in life. This idea was brought to my attention by my buddy Steve yesterday as we were talking about the biggest problems we see in the world of Crossfit today. My first thought was that most people just need to get stronger. What he so eloquently noted was that "yes, people need to be strong, but I see people layer strength on top of crappy movement all the time..." As I thought about it, I realized he couldn't be more right. I see so many people who have plenty of strength, but move so poorly that that strength cannot properly manifest itself. A perfect example is the athlete who squats 300 lbs but only snatches 135. For their strength level, this athlete should be snatching around 185. Even for far less technical movements this holds true. If you cannot do a basic air squat properly, you have no business performing an overhead squat. And if you can't perform an overhead squat, then why are you trying to snatch? If you cannot do a pull up, and if you cannot do a ring dip then why on earth are you trying to learn a muscle up? It just makes no sense to me, yet if I am honest I find that I too tend to get ahead of myself from time to time. It's hard not to. By focusing on what is most simple in movement patterns, we open ourselves up to future experiences of more complex and difficult movements.

Nowhere have I found the concept of virtuosity to be more important than in my pursuit of Christ. Far too often, I gravitate to the more grandiose parts of the Christian walk- theology, sharing my faith with large groups of people, going on mission trips, ect. None of these pursuits are bad, but without a proper foundation they are fruitless. What I want to continue to come back to is the simplicity and beauty of the gospel- that I am sinful and guilty beyond measure, but that on the cross of Christ my debt was paid in full. In meditating on this simple truth, I cannot help but live a life that manifests itself as loving, joyful, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle, and self-controlled (Gal 5:22-23). I have no business going oversees and being a missionary if I cannot live out and share my faith with my friends and those I interact with here stateside. I have no business starting some big nonprofit organization if I cannot simply "love my neighbor as myself" (Mark 12:31). I have no business shepherding a congregation if I cannot shepherd my own family. Virtuosity- do the common uncommonly well. For me, this means gravitating my life around the gospel message of Christ setting me free from the bondage of sin that I may live my life in a way that displays His glory and worth.

Mother Theresa said it best: "spread love everywhere you go. Don't look for big things, just do small things with great love... the smaller the thing, the greater must be our love."

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment