Friday, November 15, 2013

Guest Post: Personal Growth



Today's post is written by one of my best friends Steve. I am particularly excited to post his article, because I owe so much of who I am today to his influence. He taught me how to squat, how to snatch and clean & jerk, how to program, how to survive Smolov, how to eat way too much food and not feel bad about it afterwards, how to get lost in the world of Youtube videos, and so much more.


One of my biggest pitfalls as a coach is I can become over competitive. Maybe it's just how I was raised, but I want to win, and not the friendly kind of win, but the kind where I crush my enemies, have them driven before me, and watch the lamentation of their women type of win. This goes for everything, whether it be a not-so-friendly game of monopoly or a throw down session in the gym.

The bad part is I sincerely enjoy seeing people succeed, especially those who I have shared sweat, blood and tears with. So now I have and interesting dichotomy; I have training partners and even family who I want to see succeed more than anything, but when they do all they see is the bitter, resentful, competitive moment that I reflexively portray. 

Part of me realizes I'm just being a jerk and I need to grow out of this bit of immaturity. But another part of me reveals a more interesting conviction; a realization that my resentment is not fueled by others success, but by my own belief that I can do better. I see other's success and it reflects on my own shortcomings. Watching others move forward makes me analyze my own failings and realize that I can try harder, I can put in more work, and my potential has yet to be tapped.

Lifting and life tend to parallel each other. I'm always looking for growth, not necessarily in the big goal achieving sense but in the day-to-day kind of way. Whether it's making the effort to put in that extra work set at the gym, pick up my bible and actually read it, or just do the dishes for my wife, I realize these little things that when constantly practiced, contribute to the whole and make change. They help me grow and become a better version of myself. The best part is by striving to become that better person, I may one day turn the tables on those who inspired me, and help them grow as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment