Friday, November 8, 2013

Appearing vs. Being


This video cracks me up. As a CrossFit coach, I can attest to the fact that it is 100% accurate- this is the stuff I deal with on a daily basis. While part of me thinks it is hilarious (I love my female athletes), the other part of me recognizes that there is something ironic about the general persona of some people who consider themselves "crossfitters". What I have discovered is that some people really want to appear to be a die hard crossfitter, but really have no desire to actually be one. Let me explain.

Crossfit has several stereotypes that surround it that I'm sure many of you are familiar with- things like tall socks, Lulu Lemon clothing, vibrant colors, tons of accessories (ya can't crossfit without nanos, knee wraps, wrist wraps, belt, head band, ect...), excessive chalk use, eating paleo, and so on and so forth. Now don't get me wrong, none of those things are bad at all. In fact, I would support (if not advocate) many of those things. What I find ironic is that there are some people who do all of these things, but when it comes time to actually do the WOD, they don't really push themselves. They like the appearance of being a crossfitter, but don't exactly enjoy the act of being a crossfitter. They like the cool gear, but not the blood, sweat, and tears that it takes to earn the badge of being a crossfit athlete.

Now in the end, I guess it really doesn't matter if people like pushing themselves to their limit or just dressing up in neat work out clothes. I think what is more troublesome is that this idea is not just restricted to the world of CrossFit- it works its way into every part of our life.

It is so much easier to appear to be something than it is to actually be that thing. Where I find myself doing this is in regards to my walk with Christ. I often find myself doing things that make me appear to be a man after the Lords heart, but not always having a heart that matches my exterior actions. I am ashamed and even embarrassed to admit this, but I am also not so naive as to think that it is something nobody else struggles with, so let's call it like it is. It's easy to put on  the facade of someone who follows Christ, especially in our bible belt culture. We know how to talk like people that love the Lord (Christianese), we know how to put verses up on Facebook to make us look like we have it all together, we know how tell people "God does everything for a reason", but behind closed doors are we really living in a way that honors the Lord?  Will you still follow Christ when you lose your job or get cancer? Will you still display His love to someone who wrongs you or lies to you or stabs you in the back? Will you still keep your heart, mind, speech, and actions pure when nobody else is around? Sometimes yes, but my point is that its much easier to appear like we are following Him than it is to actually follow Him. 

In the bible, there were a group of people who were appear-ers rather than be-ers. In Matthew 23, Jesus speaks to these people:

"The scribes and the Pharrisees sit on Moses' seat, so do and observe whatever they tell you, but not the works they do. For they preach, but do not practice. They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on people's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to move them with their finger. They do all their deeds to be seen by others. For they make their outward status symbols bold, and they love the place of honor at feast and the best seats in the synagogues and greetings in the marketplaces and being called rabbi by others...

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel!

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. You blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and the plate, that the outside also may be clean.

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within are full of dead people's bones and all uncleanness. So you also outwardly appear righteous to others, but within you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness."

There is nothing wrong with appearing as long as you are willing to be also. Thanks be to God that when we fall short, we have a merciful and loving High Priest who has interceded on our behalf. Christ is committed to our sanctification, and in His cross alone we have hope. Blessings.



No comments:

Post a Comment