Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Familiar

One of the things I appreciate most about the barbell (or more generally crossfit/olympic lifting) is how familiar it has become to me. It doesn't matter where you go, the barbell is always the same. I have lifted in many cities in states, I have lifted when all is well and when all seems to be crumbling around me, I've lifted alone and with large groups, and the one thing that remains consistent is the barbell. I love that no matter what is going on in the world, it always feels the same in my hands or on my shoulders. The barbell doesn't care what kind of day you have been having, all that he cares about is that you pick him up. And inevitably, when I do the feel of the knurl in my palms makes all the troubles of the world seem to fade away. Because of its familiarity, it provides me with comfort and stability.

I was blessed this weekend to get to spend time around three of the people I love the most, one of whom was a brother that I lived with through college. When we graduated, Brett moved off to Maryland with his new bride Melissa, and he has been there for the past two years. Though we only get to talk about once a month, each time we reunite it is as if no time has passed. I was reminded of that this weekend- 30 seconds after he picked me up, we were already deep in conversation. I suppose when you share a room with someone for two years, you become pretty well acquainted with them (for better or for worse). It truly is a sanctifying experience, and creates a bond like no other. Brett, along with several other brothers, has been a rock of comfort and stability in my life because of the brotherhood we share, the bond we have in Christ, and because of our familiarity. It doesn't matter what kind of circumstances I am going through, I know I can always count on him to love me just the same. I was encouraged in spending time with him to grow in my affections for Christ, I was proud to get to watch him baptize his bride, and I am just proud of him in general at the man he has become- a "man after God's own heart." 

In spending time with Brett, Melissa, and Jessica this weekend, I was reminded of the ultimate stability and comfort that we have in Christ our King- that no matter where we are or what we do, no matter what is going on in our lives, through the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, Jesus is always right there with us, loving us through every situation. Joseph Scriven penned the following hymn, which describes this quite well:

"What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privelege to carry everything to God in prayer!
Can we find a friend so faithful, who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care? 
Precious Savior, still our refuge, take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He'll take and shield you; you will find a solace there.
Soon in glory bright unclouded, there will be no need for prayer,
 Rapture, praise and endless worship will be our sweet portion there."

Grabbing coffee and a cupcake... carb loading!

A bit dark and blurry, but visiting ol' Abe

Dead to sin, alive in Christ...

Raised to walk in the newness of life!

Bell tower

Biking through DC!

The capital building

Sunsets and monuments
"For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 8:38-39


No comments:

Post a Comment