Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Giftings

In my time as a coach, I have had athletes of all different shapes, sizes, and abilities. One thing that has always struck me is that some athletes are just naturally good squatters/olympic lifters, while others really struggle. While some of this is due to natural ability, spatial awareness, base strength levels, and coordination (all of which can be improved upon with training and practice), some of it can also be attributed to biomechanics (something the athlete has no control over). I have drawn a few diagrams to help explain what I mean.


This first diagram depicts two athletes with identical torsos, but differing femur lengths. The athlete with the shorter femur is able to maintain a nearly vertical shin angle while keeping the shoulder (where the bar or external loading sits) over the midfoot. In order for the athlete with the longer femur to keep the shoulder over the midfoot, their knee must push further over their toe, which requires a sharper angle between their shin and their foot, a.k.a. more ankle mobility.


Now lets say that the athlete with the longer femur does not have the ankle mobility required in picture 1. Now, in order to keep the shoulder over the midfoot, they must decrease the angle between their torso and their femur to account for the longer femur. Though the athletes have the same ankle mobility and thus the same shin angle, athlete 1 will be able to maintain a much more erect torso throughout a squat. Athletes who find themselves in this boat should seek to maximize ankle mobility as well as hip mobility, for a restriction of either one of these with ultimately limit their success as a squatter/olympic lifter.

To further complicate things, there are some athletes who have a relatively shorter torso. In this diagram, both athletes have the same ankle mobility and same femur length, but athlete 2 has a shorter torso than athlete 1. Because of this, they must have a sharper angle between the femur and the torso to account for the shorter lever. Again, athletes who find themselves in this category should regularly do ankle/hip mobility drills.

Sometimes, an athlete comes through that has short femurs, great ankle mobility, and a long torso. After 5 minutes, I can have them squatting butt-to-ankles with a vertical torso no problem. Other times, someone comes through with the trifecta of problems: short torso, long femurs, limited ankle mobility. To an extent, I find myself in this category. These athletes have to work much harder to do what comes naturally to athletes with different biomechanics. I would probably make a great runner- long legs and a short torso. But for Olympic Weightlifting, I do not have the ideal body type. Different athletes have been molded differently for different purposes, all of which have equal value. In many ways, it reminds me of the body of Christ.

In Romans 12, Paul reminds that "in one body, we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function." Later, in 1 Corinthians 12, he tells us that "to each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good." The Lord, in His infinite wisdom and grace, has granted to each of us a specific set of skills and giftings. These giftings are not meant for us to build ourselves up, but rather to build up others and in doing so glorify God.

It is easy to look at others and see their giftings, but often times much harder to see what the Lord has made us good at. I have a brother who is the most gifted person I have ever met at making people feel loved. He is a great listener, and his charisma makes you feel like you have known him for a lifetime after knowing him for only 5 minutes. Because of this, he has been able to connect with a wide array of folks, and has led many of them to the feet of Jesus. What comes very naturally for him comes much harder for me. I have to actively think and work to do what flows for him. I think of Matt Chandler who so obviously has a gift of teaching. I have given several sermons/bible studies, and have always felt slightly out of place in doing so. No matter how much I prepare, no matter how much I practice, the Lord just has not gifted me with an innate ability to captivate peoples attention with public speaking (this is probably to keep me humble, for if I was good at it I would likely attribute the success to myself.)

In any case, the point is that we all have things that we just naturally are good at in regards to our service to the Lord. It does me no good to sit around and be jealous of others gifts. "For the body does not consist of one member, but of may. If the foot should say, 'because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,' that would not make it any less a part of the body.... If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as He chose.... As it is, there are many parts, but one body." (1 Cor 12:14-20). In the same way that the Lord built people of all shapes and sizes, He molded and crafted each one of us with a specific set of giftings meant to be used for our joy and His glorification. Now, just because I am not biomechanically the best squatter ever does not mean I don't squat, and in the same way just because you are not the greatest teacher/listener/server/preacher/counselor/whatever does not mean you should not do those things. But you also should seek to cultivate that which God has gifted you most naturally at.

For your good and His glory.
Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment