Monday, July 29, 2013

Concrete

Today was the most affirming day I have had in my two years as a coach. Since moving to Dallas and coaching at CFWR, I have been constantly encouraged and thanked by my members for coaching them. It has meant so incredibly much to me, but I am a man who values concrete evidence rather than just subjective complements. Today, I got that.

For the month of July, Kyle and I decided to try programming a 4 week cycle focusing on the squat and olympic lifts. It was a simple linear progression, with members completing the lifts on a weekly basis at an increased intensity. We had a one week deload, then tested today. The results were amazing. I saw well over 30 PRs, some of which were 20-40# PRs. People were going crazy, people were surprising themselves, it was an electric environment. To add icing on the cake, I had many people get their first ever bar muscle up. Two of my favorite moments of the day were captured on video:





As good as it feels when people tell me how thankful they are I am their coach, it feels just as good to see them PR and share in that knowing that you played a small roll in helping them achieve their goals. Sometimes its easy to wonder if you really are a good coach. On a day like today, I had 30+ pieces of concrete evidence.

Maybe I'm stubborn, but it seems that coaching isn't the only thing that I need evidence for. Living in Bible Belt Texas, we hear the phrase "God loves you" often. The phrase has been tossed around so often in Christian circles that I feel it may have lost some of its depth and beauty. I hear it, and it doesn't even faze me. "God loves me." Cool. But how do I know that it is more than just a phrase, that it's actually real?

"In this the Love of God was made manifest among us; He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love; not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." - 1 John 4:9-10

Thats some crazy, unbelievable, amazing love. Love I certainly don't deserve, but Love given freely to me. How do I know that He loves me? He gave himself for me. What greater Love is there than that!? And knowing that I am loved and accepted by Him frees me up to love others with that same love. We love because He first loved us (1 John 4:19)

Concrete evidence is sweet.

Blessings


No comments:

Post a Comment