Saturday, June 8, 2013

Pride and Joy


I have been blessed enough to experience much joy as an athlete, both in training and in competition. The feeling you get after hitting a PR is one of the best feelings you can get. Recently, I have discovered a new joy though.

Coaching provides me another opportunity to experience deep joy. On a daily basis, I watch my athletes push their bodies harder than they knew was possible, try things they never imagined they could do, and fight through their goats. It is truly humbling and inspiring to constantly be surrounded by people who courageously (though not always fearlessly- there is a big difference, but that's another blog post for another day) head straight into weaknesses and physiological pain. Sometimes, after struggling with something for a while, an athlete finally gets it. There is something about watching the light bulb go off in an individual that brings my heart a lot of joy. What I have discovered is that I get even more excited for one of my athletes when they hit a PR than when I do. 

The apostle Paul speaks of this several times throughout his epistles. Often, you hear him speak to the recipients with a great sense of pride and joy. "For what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes? Is it not you?" (1 Thessalonians 2:19). You can almost hear the affection in Paul's writing. He has poured his life out into these people, and as a result is deeply affiliated with their successes and failures. He goes so far as to state that THEY are the crown in which He will glory in the presence of Christ! They are his pride, and his joy.

When you pour your life into a group of people, be it through athletics or through ministry, there is a deep sense of connection with them. The more you pour, the more you connect. As I move forward in life, I pray that I continue to be blessed with people to connect with, both on an athletic level and on a spiritual level.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment