Sunday, June 16, 2013

Blind Spots

Then
Now

What you will notice from watching these two videos is that my setup now is drastically different than it used to be. This came about by my training partner Kyle giving me some great advice. After watching me do a few sets, he told me that I needed to get my shoulders further in front of the bar and my knees pushed back more to engage the hamstrings and simulate the second pull more accurately. I was hesitant, but dropped weight and began to work back up. What I was left with was a 20# PR. Not too shabby. Additionally, I have really struggled pulling from the floor lately, most likely because I wasn't in the same position at the knee as I had been during my block cleans. I anticipate to PR my clean sometime soon, now that I am in stronger positions.

I have been lifting for a while now, and thought that I was doing it right. What I failed to realize though is that you can always learn something new. Having Kyle watch me and give me healthy feedback was a crucial step in my journey to lift as much weight as possible. Sometimes, you just need someone to watch your blind spots- to give you a different perspective on you.

Proverbs 27:17 says that "as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." This is true not only in weightlifting or crossfit, but in life. I have been lucky enough to have brothers in my life who watch my blind spots, who call me out when they see living in a way that runs contrary to the gospel I profess. Sometimes being sharpened hurts- in fact it almost always does. But I always end up better for it. If you don't have someone watching your blind spots, you will always think that you are in the right, that you are the best. Growing hurts, but it hurts so good.

Have someone you can sharpen, and that will sharpen you, both in the gym and in life.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment