Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Coping with Failure



Lately my olympic lifting has seemed to provide many parallels to my life. I was certain that this was the day that I would finally conquer 100kgs. As you can see from the video, this simply did not happen. In fact, I stood up exactly zero out of my 17 attempts. Failure. I was interviewed for a position in Beijing, and was just about set on moving, but things fell through. Failure. I then had an interview with Stanford University for a graduate assistant position in their strength and conditioning department. I made the final 10, but was cut and they offered the positions to two other folks. Failure. Sometimes, it seems like no matter how hard you try to make things work, the world just doesn't want to throw you a bone.

How we handle failure speaks volumes of who we are as people. When you don't perform as well as you anticipate, or when things don't go your way, you have two choices- get down on yourself, or get better and move on.

I will hit that 100 kg snatch. It's a done deal. It's just a matter of time. Until I do, I will keep my eyes focused on the goal, and take the necessary steps to achieve it.

I will find a GA position, and even if I don't, I trust that the Lord holds me, He has a plan for me, and His plan is for my good and his glory.

It would be easy to fold, to feel sorry for myself, to give up. But what kind of a man would I be if I did that. No, I will keep going under the bar until I crush 100 kg. I will keep applying around until someone calls me back, and I will keep seeking the Lord first and trusting that He will bring something or satisfy me in Himself if he doesn't.

Keep getting under the bars of life, friends.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment