Monday, March 4, 2013

Consistency

In order to be good at anything, there is a level of commitment and consistency that is required of you. This can be seen in many avenues of life. For example, in order to get good at snatching, you must consistently snatch. In order to be great at snatching, you must consistently snatch with a consistent movement pattern. Your approach must be consistent; your setup must be consistent; your first and second pulls must be consistent; you must hit off the hips in a consistent location; your feet must consistently jump out to the same place; you must catch the bar at a consistent height. If any one of these things are not consistent, then under a maximal load you will falter, because a specific motor pattern has not been established. Getting stronger/more powerful also requires you to consistently show up and push yourself. It is easy to do one of those things- much harder to do both. I know plenty of people who show up every day to lift, but don't truly push themselves. I know others that are great at really stepping up to a challenge, but don't see gains because they only show up once a week. Consistency, when lacking, can be detrimental to an individual's performance.

I find that as a coach, it is important to be consistent with your athletes. If you have an athlete do an exercise, expect them to do it the same way (the right way) every time. Don't compromise on this, for compromise is a slippery slope. I also want to be consistent in the way I treat athletes, that is to be motivating and challenging while still respecting them and caring for them as a person. This is especially important in the collegiate and high school realms, where athletes have unlimited stimulus coupled with extremely limited attention capacity. On any given day, my athletes may have tests, papers, projects, girlfriend/boyfriend problems, family problems, a tough practice, work, class, roomate issues, financial issues, ect. ect. When they walk in the weight room, a million different people and things are dividing their hearts and attention. I want them to know that every time they come in contact with me, they are going to get the same thing- respect and love. They cannot afford for me to be inconsistent- to let my mood, my life, my problems affect them. I strive to view them not just as athletes, but as people who have a soul. When I realize this, and when I consistently treat them with this in mind, it helps free them up to be able to perform a given task, and ultimately to perform better during competition.

What should be sought after above all is spiritual consistency. This can become tricky though. Oftentimes what happens is we evaluate our spiritual lives based upon exterior evidences. For example, if I spend a lot of time in the word or praying, then I am tempted to think that I am doing good with the Lord. This runs contrary to the gospel message though- that Christ covered over my sins by going upon the cross, and that the wrath that should have been directed toward me was instead unleashed upon him, and that all of this was done "not because of works done by me in righteousness, but according to his own mercy..." ( Titus 3:5). No matter how bad I think I am, Christ has payed for that in full. On the other hand, no matter how good I think I am, "all my righteous acts are like filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:6). He loves me not because of what I do or have to offer Him, but because He is good and merciful. What I am getting at is that consistency in a spiritual sense is not what makes us righteous, but rather is a vessel by which we can meet with the Lord, come to see who He is more clearly, and have our lives changed accordingly by His Spirit. When we consistently open our lives to Him, he fills us in ways that are inexplicable, and our lives begin to be an outpouring of the overflowing love He has filled us with. Just remember that discipline does not bring about love- rather Love brings about discipline.

Strive to be consistent in all areas of life. Get under the bar consistently. Treat people in a consistent manner. Consistently open your heart to the maker of all things.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment