Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Bittersweet

"Bittersweet is the practice of believing that we really do need both the bitter and the sweet, and that a life of nothing but sweetness rots both your teeth and your soul. Sweet is nice enough, but bittersweet is beautiful, nuanced, full of depth and complexity. Bittersweet is courageous, gutsy, earthy."
        -Shauna Niequist

The day that would never come finally came. For several months now, I have been praying and evaluating what my next move in life would be: would I stay in Houston or move? Would I do what I love (strength&conditioning) or get a regular 9-5 job? Would I go to grad school or not? The Lord made it abundantly clear to me that where He had me next was up in Dallas working at Crossfit White Rock. I have been really excited about it, and to be honest it has been somewhat of a struggle to finish strong here in Houston. But when it finally came to my last day, I was met with emotions far different than I expected.

As I walked out of the Elmer Redd Strength and Conditioning Center for the last time, I became overwhelmed with emotion. To be honest I almost started crying, which was totally unexpected. It's hard to put into words what that place has meant to me over the last year. I came in as a kid who thought he knew everything, and left as a man (haha, just kidding) who realized that I will never even scratch the surface of knowing everything. This is the place where I learned to be not just an instructor, but a coach. This is where I learned to snatch, clean & jerk, and squat. This is where I met some of my closest friends, and many athletes that I deeply respect, not just for their athletic abilities but for their character. This is where I experienced a lot of pain, and a lot more joy. I struggled here, I succeeded here, I got angry here, I laughed a lot here, I let my pride get in the way here, I was humbled here time and time again, I suffered from depression here, and a million times over I experienced joy here. And most importantly, Christ used every hardship and every success I experienced here to mold me more into His likeness.

It is bitter thinking that tomorrow morning, all of that stays behind me as I journey northward. But it is sweet indeed knowing that not only does the Lord has a plan, but that ultimately His plan is for my good and His glory. I know in Dallas, rich community awaits me. I know that new struggles, hardships, and persecutions await me. I know that I will laugh again, cry again, and certainly laugh until I cry. The Lord is good- He blesses me far more than I deserve in so many ways. Though nervous, I am excited to walk (by faith) with Him into this next chapter of life. Just as in weightlifting, all you can do is trust and dive under the bar.

Blessings





















No comments:

Post a Comment